Indian Trails is a remarkable facility that brings adaptive recreation to the lives of each camper. It is simple in theory, but daunting in task. Indian Trails offers a barrier-free camp setting in which those with disabilities can participate in all manner of activities the outside world is ill-equipped to provide. It is a place filled with fun, recreation, friendship and acceptance. Campers learn perseverance, teamwork and self-reliance. They leave for home loaded with love, respect and memories.
Indian Trails accepts campers with a wide range of physical and/ or developmental disabilities. Inclusion and mainstreaming play key roles in making campers feel a part of things. With a capacity of up to 84 co-ed participants per session, ITC welcomes campers aged 7 and beyond.
Program opportunities at Indian Trails Camp include organized activities in the following areas:
- Ropes Challenge
- Arts and Crafts
- Music and Drama
Additional components of the Summer Camp program include:
- Talent Shows
- Nature Studies
Each year, Indian Trails Camp hosts a variety of sessions that embody the summer camp experience. While most sessions are based on a “traditional” camp program and are set up according to age groups, other sessions provide a more specialized approach to camping—focusing on a specific theme of activities for varied age groups of campers. These specific theme of activities include, but is not limited to, Council Fires, Big Dance, live bands, mystery trip, and talent show. Each session of camp is not only an opportunity for campers to partake in fun but also afford families and caregivers a much needed rest and vacation.
2013 "Happy Trails" Camp
A traditional, overnight camp for children and young adults ages 7 to 26 on the Autism Spectrum*
Monday, June 17 to Saturday, June 22, 2013
Indian Trails Camp is pleased to offer our second summer camp for children and young adults in the community on the Autism Spectrum. There will be requirements that your child/family member will need to meet in order to be eligible, so please see below. As we continue to develop more programs, we hope to broaden the scope of eligibility to better match all campers (ASD) needs.
- Campers must be between the ages of 7 and 26 years old.
- Diagnosis of ASD is not needed, children with similar diagnosis or characteristics will be considered.
- Traditional, overnight summer camp setting: activities may include indoor swimming, paddleboating, ropes course, swings, arts & crafts, campfires, etc.
- Indian Trails Camp will be partnering with specialists that have expertise in working with individuals with ASD.
- Registration is between 3pm and 5pm on Monday and checkout is between 11am and 12pm on Saturday.
- Primarily gluten-free menu.
- Direct care summer staff will be at a small group ratio of 1:3 this means, unfortunately, we cannot accept individuals with behaviors of aggression, are at risk for eloping, or in need of 1:1 staffing.
- The cost of the camp for Monday through Saturday would be $375.00 which includes staffing, life guards, an on-site nurse, an on-site camp director and meals. (Scholarships are available based on financial need—please complete Financial & Scholarship request forms on pages 5 and 6 of the application).
- To enroll your child for Camp, download the 2013 Happy Trails Camp Application, and return to Indian Trails Camp. Or contact us at 616.677.5251 to have one mailed to you.
- Deadline for registration will be May 31st, 2013 (or until session is filled).
- You will be contacted shortly after the application is received to confirm your child’s enrollment.
* If your family member does not meet the requirements for enrollment, please contact Indian Trails Camp directly to inquire about existing programs or respite services that may be suited to your family member’s needs.